Depending on where you live, going outdoors during the winter might not be high on your list of fun things to do. However, outdoor time for children is important year-round. Outdoor activity sees a reduced risk of behavior problems, improved attention spans, an easier time falling asleep at night, and increased exposure to Vitamin D.
Here are some outdoor family activities that everyone can enjoy this winter.
- Ice skate at an outdoor rink
- Make snow angels
- Go for a hike or a walk
- Bring a camera on a hike and photograph nature
- Collect items like twigs, pinecones, and leaves and make a winter sculpture
- Build a snowman or animal snow sculpture
- Bundle up and have a picnic
- Look for wildlife, and observe from a distance
- Make shapes with your tracks in the snow
- Hold a winter-themed scavenger hunt
- Play a winter sport such as hockey
- Try a non-winter sport in the snow, like soccer or football
- Offer to shovel a neighbor’s driveway or sidewalk
- Check out local attractions such as zoos, state parks, and festivals, many of which stay open in the winter months
- Play with your dog in the local off-leash area
- Visit the playground if conditions are safe
- Go sledding in your neighborhood
- Take a mini ski or snowboard trip
- Decorate the exterior of your house or your yard with lights
- Walk around your neighborhood and admire the lights and decorations
No matter how warm or cold your winter is, there are many ways you and your family can enjoy the great outdoors. Try these outdoor family activities for the winter months.